Tuesday, March 26, 2024

alison feature notes Mar. 2024

Pages 90-99

p.90

MARK
It’s almost three hours away. Kinda the middle of nowhere, between Bakersfield and Fresno. 

to

It’s three hours away in the middle of nowhere, between Bakersfield and Fresno.  

p. 92

OFFICER AZIZ
Follow that hall around to the left and an aide will meet you. 

to

Turn left at the end of the hall. An aide will meet you.


MARK You’ve got this.

to

MARK You got this.  

p. 93

SUSAN ROMANO  You understand that I will be with you the entire time that you visit your daughter.

SUSAN ROMANO This is a supervised visit. I will be with you the entire time.

p. 94

NANCY Why were you mad at Grandma? 

NANCY Were you mad at Grandma? 

to end ok

 

Pages 80-89

p.80 

BERNICE You got other things you gotta take care of. I can do this. 

to

BERNICE You got other things you gotta do.

p.81

Mark’s phone pings - it’s from George.

WalMart

He heads for the back door. OFFICER WELLS grabs his arm.

to

MARK’s phone pings - it’s from GEORGE at WalMart

MARK heads for the back door. OFFICER WELLS grabs MARK's arm.

p.82

OFFICER FONG
We got a call from the WalMart manager that someone was banging on their window and hollering. 

to

OFFICER FONG
We got a call from the WalMart manager that a young woman was banging on their window and shouting.

 

 

OFFICER ALVAREZ
We’ve been down that road before so we just put her in the back of our car and figured we’d drive her home. 

to

OFFICER ALVAREZ
Based on prior history we put her in the back of our car and started to drive her home. 

p.86

Nancy forces back both a chuckle and tears.

 
to

Nancy forces back emotions.

CAROL LEE
I’ve also gotten a report from the social worker who saw her.

CAROL LEE
I’ve also have her social worker reports.

p.87

CAROL LEE
In order to do that, defendants can be sent to a mental hospital where they undergo training that’s designed to make them competent. 

to

CAROL LEE
Defendants can be admitted to a mental hospital, There they undergo treatment to enable competency.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pages 70-79 

p. 70  LIVING ROOM - NIGHT

Nancy and Mark share a bowl of popcorn.

to

Nancy and Mark each have a bowl of popcorn. 

p. 71

NANCY
I just meant that she’s my flesh and blood. And I know in my heart she would never hurt anyone. 

ADD MARK finishes his popcprn - "I need a beer." 

p.73

MARK Yeah. He doesn’t seem...whatever. 

to

MARK Yeah. He doesn’t seem...all there.  

to

NANCY We’re not exactly rich.

NANCY We’re not rich. 

p. 78

GEORGE Gotta go to work. Just picking up a few things.

to

GEORGE Gotta work. Just grabbing a couple things. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pages 61-70

 61.

NANCY
Maybe it’s time to buy her a phone? At least I could use the “find my phone” feature. But I worry -

 to 

NANCY
 We can buy her a phone. We could use the “find my phone” feature. But I worry - 

62.

NANCY (into phone)

Got her! In front of Joey’s Market. Bring the car. 

to

Got her! Joey’s Market. Fetch us?

. . . 

NANCY
I feel like we’re going in circles and never getting anywhere.

MARK Here. Home. Back. Home

to

NANCY We’re going in circles spinning our wheels

MARK Home. Sweet. Home. (hug)

63.

DR. WILLIAMS I hear you and I wish I had an answer for you. Unfortunately medical science just doesn’t understand schizophrenia as well as I wish we did.

DR. WILLIAMS
I understand you. Sadly medical science doesn’t understand schizophrenia enough.  

64.

GEORGE You don’t need all of them. And I think I’ll learn to juggle.

to

GEORGE You don’t need all of them. I'm juggling.

Alison tries and fails at juggling 

He tosses them in the air and catches them again.

GEORGE How hard can it be? 

p.65

NANCY Come inside honey. We can have a snack. I’m hungry - what about you? 

to

NANCY We have to go inside honey. I’m hungry. Keep me company. 

 

 p.66

JACK REILLY Black is good, thanks. 

to

JACK REILLY Black is perfect, thanks. 

p.67

NANCY
Sorry Mark couldn’t be here as well. We try to spread out our work shifts as much as possible, so one of us can always be here with Alison. 

 Jack pulls a laptop and a stack of briefcase.

JACK REILLY How old is Alison now?

to

NANCY
Sorry Mark couldn’t be here as well. We try to spread out our work shifts as much as possible- 

 Jack pulls a laptop and a stack of briefcase.

JACK REILLY - so one of you can be here with Alison. How old is she now? 

(messy )

NANCY She's eighteen

JACK REILLY so legally an adult

NANCY  I guess but she’s not REALLY an adult. She’s an eight year old in the body of eighteen

(beat) I love her but that’s the reality.

 

JACK REILLY
It means the court would declare pretty much what you just said. Alison is eighteen but she’s not really an adult and never will be.

JACK REILLY
It means the court would declare what you just said. Alison is eighteen but she’s not really an adult so it

is necessary to prevent serious, foreseeable, and imminent harm to her or others.

 

 p.68

JACK REILLY
Then the court would appoint a replacement, yes.

ADD

Nancy- Maybe her brother by that time.

JACK REILLY - maybe your husband, her step-father?

 

p. 69

JACK REILLY
Right? What science has established is that it’s caused by interference with how neurotransmitters work. 

to

JACK REILLY
Understood. Science has established neurotransmitters interference causes it.

 

 

 

 
 
 

 

Pages 51-60 

51.

OFFICER FONG
She’s lucky this time - we didn’t. She’s being taken for a psychiatric evaluation. 

to

She's not charged with a crime, at least not yet. We're bringing her in for psychiatric evaluation. Glad things didn't escalate.

52.

LAPD takes all of those to the psychiatric hospital, White Pines.

 to

LAPD brings those to the psychiatric hospital, White Pines. 

(Avoiding TAKen because - Liam Neeson)

53.

MARK
Now will you stop making fun of all of my back up procedures?

to

MARK
My back up procedure.

54.

NANCY
Thanks for taking the handcuffs off her.

to

NANCY
Thanks for taking the handcuffs off her.

to

Thanks for taking off the cuffs

DR. WILLIAMS
The cops did that before they left. She had quieted down by then.

to

The cops did that. She quieted down before they left.  

55.

DR. WILLIAMS
Good. You’re going to be staying here with us for a while, OK? We want to keep you feeling better. 

to

DR. WILLIAMS
Good. You’ll stay here for a while, We'll work to keep you feeling better. 

Page 56.

Get her settled and make sure she’s scheduled for a full work up in the morning.

to

Get her settled then schedule her for a full work up in the morning. 

DR. WILLIAMS
I want to try her on paliperidone, which has shown good results in patients prone to hallucinations. But it generally takes a couple of weeks to work fully, so we need to monitor her carefully.

DR. WILLIAMS

 I want to try her on paliperidone. It has shown good results in patients prone to hallucinations. It generally takes a couple of weeks to work fully, so we need to monitor her carefully.

NANCY

OK. Show me where I need to sign.

to

DR. WILLIAMS we need you to sign here. 

after

NANCY
He’s just her step-father so I’m the only one who needs to sign.

add

DOCTOR : Understood.  

57.

JACK REILLY Is this a bad time?

to JACK REILLY Is this an OK time? 

JACK REILLY
At your home. Once your daughter is back. OK?

 to

At your home. after your daughter is back, all with your permission. 

p. 58

NANCY Are you back on days next week?

to NANCY Are you back on day shift next week? 

p. 59

DR. WILLIAMS She has gone through puberty, despite her disabilities. She has normal sexual urges, plus there’s a natural human desire for companionship. 

DR. WILLIAMS She has gone through puberty, She has normal urges for sex and companionship. 

p. 60

BERNICE Saw her go in the kitchen.

to  BERNICE She went in the kitchen.

 

 

 

pages 41-50

41. 

NANCY (interrupting) Give me the list and I’ll do it. 

Give me that list. I’ll do it. 

p. 42

GEORGE It’s mine now

GEORGE I'm using it now.. 

p. 43

MARK Honey, THIS is the guy

NANCY What guy? 

 to

MARK Honey, It's him.

NANCY Who him?
p.44

BILL WEISS
Nope. Let’s go over the whole thing again, even though I’m sure it was all in your email.

BILL WEISS Nope. Give me your whole story again, to fill in your email.

p.45

NANCY
But the landlord says they didn’t get the money and they’re gonna evict us in two weeks. 

The landlord says they didn’t get the money. They're evicting in two weeks. 

p. 46

BILL WEISS
I’m sure you’re strong enough to handle whatever you have to do. But I’m glad you won’t have to. 

to

You won;t have to. Glad to help/

p.50

ALISON Play with that?

ALISON Play that?

 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 

 

 

pages 30-40

p.30

MS. REYNOLDS I should have called myself instead of having Mr. Thompson do it.

strike MYSELF

p. 31

NANCY But if “maybe” means “no,” we’re getting evicted in two weeks 

strike BUT 

p.31

MARTIN Am I doing this wrong?

NANCY Not at all (beat) Do you live in the garden apartment complex near the park? 

to

NANCY You're doing fine. (beat) You live in the garden apartment complex near the park? 

.  . . 

MARTIN  Why? 

to

MARTIN  Yes, Why? 

MARTIN Cheap. Not awful. Nobody stays there long so there’s usually something empty. 

MARTIN Cheap. Not the bad. Nobody stays there long. There’s always something empty.

 p. 32

JOE RUSSO: Sit down. 

to 

Have a seat.

p.33

NANCY Her relationship with Alison isn’t great. 

to

NANCY She and Alison don't get along good enough. 

MARK
One of the guys drove me - the one that doesn’t drink. Vinnie? Marco? I don’t know. Gotta get my car tomorrow. 

to

One of the guys drove me - the AA guy. Vinnie? Marco? I forget. I'll get my car tomorrow. 

 

p.34

MARK What’s got you so worked up? I put it on the calendar like we agreed.

 to

MARK Why so angry? I put it on the calendar. You saw it and said OK. 

NANCY Eggs are on the second shelf, right hand side.

 to

NANCY Eggs ; second shelf, right side. 

NANCY I got offered a promotion at work today.

to

NANCY Joe offered me a promotion.

MARK That’s awesome! Congratulations. 

to

MARK That’s good, right? Why the face? 

p.35

NANCY
Right? I kinda wanted to go anyway but I didn’t want to leave you here alone so when you came home reeking of beer I was jealous. 

to

NANCY
 I know. Work and home. Is that all there is? You know?.
You came home reeking of beer. I was jealous. 

MARK Next time, go to the damn baby shower. 

to

MARK goes to fridge, grabs a beer, shakes the bottle, sprays her. 

NANCY
I’ve just been in a shitty mood. We’re gonna be homeless soon and I’m freaking out. 

to

We’re gonna be homeless.

 

MARK We will NOT be homeless.

to

Mark: We'll be fine.  

P.36

BERNICE I miss when me and Alison used to watch my shows together. 

TO

BERNICE: REMEMBER when me and Alison used to watch my shows together?

 

p. 37

NANCY (to Mark)

Seriously? Do you listen to anything I say?

strike SERIOUSLY


MARK I forgot that I’d hard-boiled them to bring for lunch! 

to

MARK It was from my hard-boiled lunch eggs. 

p.38

MARK I’m gonna get this all taken care of. 

to

MARK I’ll take care of this

p. 39

RECEPTIONIST
I see what happened - we have an Alice Jax who has an appointment today. Who ever you spoke with must have mis- understood, and thought you were calling to confirm that appointment. 

to

RECEPTIONIST I see. pause Someone with a similar name has an appointment today. Who ever you spoke with must have misunderstood, and thought you were calling to confirm that appointment. 

RECEPTIONIST: I can put you on the waiting list, if you want? 

to

RECEPTIONIST: I can put you on the waiting list.

 

p.40

NANCY I feel like such an idiot. 

NANCY I'm such an idiot. 

MARK Hang in there. We’re gonna be OK. 

MARK You're not. We’re gonna be OK.


 

 

 



pages 21-30

page 21

change 

MS. PETERSON
Alison told me that the therapist at the hospital gave her rubber balls to squeeze. We use them too. 

to

Alison said the hospital therapist gave her rubber stress balls. We use them too.  

 

MARK
Nancy and I are keeping them in our cars and a big bag at home. 

to

Nancy and I keep some in our cars and a big bag at home. 

 

MS. PETERSON
They’re not a cure-all, but they do help at times. I find them useful myself when I feel like I’m at the end of my rope

to

They’re not a cure-all, but they can help sometimes. I use them when I'm feeling at the end of my rope.

page 22

change

Nancy just shakes her head - don’t ask.

 to

Nancy just shakes her head says 

"A long time" she presses a stress ball to her forehead

page 23

MS. REYNOLDS (o.s.) Come in! 

to

MS. REYNOLDS (o.s.) Ms. Jackson, please. Come in!

 page 24

MS. REYNOLDS Unfortunately, schizophrenia often worsens as people age. You just have to keep trying.

to

MS. REYNOLDS Schizophrenia often worsens as people age. Your perseverance is essential.

NANCY I’ll give ‘em a call.

 to

NANCY I’ll call.

 page 25

NANCY
And then she gave me the exact same list of psychiatrists that the hospital gave me - can you believe it?

MARK yup
to

NANCY
And then she gave me the exact same list of psychiatrists that the hospital gave me-

MARK- I bet.
- - -

NANCY
What is it with these people? How about actually connecting me with a psychiatrist who’s willing to see her? 

to

NANCY
What is it with them? Why don't they connect me with a psychiatrist who will try to help? 

page 26 

BERNICE Don’t tell me not to worry. I’ll worry if I damn well want to. 
to
BERNICE Don’t tell me not to worry. I’m worried dammit.

MONICA I’m overdue for a break.

to

MONICA I’m late for my break. 

page 27

MONICA You should come - it’ll be fun.

NANCY I wish I could but I need to get home to

to

MONICA Come - it’ll be fun.

NANCY I wish. I can't. I need to get home to (grabs a stress ball)

  page 28

NANCY That sucks. (beat) Will pizza help?

 to

NANCY That sucks.(beat) Pizza help?

 

  page 29

MS. REYNOLDS Alison wants to make friends with the other students.

  to

MS. REYNOLDS Alison wants to befriend the other students. (formal tone)

page 30

MS. REYNOLDS
She can be a bit much for some of them. She doesn’t know when to back off. When to stop touching them. She got upset so I brought her here to calm down. 

to

She overstepped... Boundaries. We stopped her from touching them. She got upset. I brought her here to calm down. 

 

 

 

pages 11-20

11

Add to dialogue

NANCY: What (the hell just happened?

change

BERNICE
She’s my grandbaby and I love her. But she’s a handful and she kinda stresses me out sometimes. 

remove SOMETIMES

page 12

GEORGE
I KNOW you made this, Grandma. Still the best meatloaf in California. 

GEORGE
I KNOW you made this, Grandma. Still the

best meatloaf in California.

 change CALIFORNIA to THE WORLD

page 13

NANCY Trouble at school.

change to SCHOOL TROUBLE.

NANCY
I asked the management company if we could pay off the five months rent that we owe a little at a time but they said no. 

cut word THAT

NANCY
I don’t want to until I absolutely have to - you know she’ll get totally stressed out.

CUT absolutely

CHANGE TOTALLY TO "EVEN MORE"

That damn pandemic is the shitty gift CUT THAT

P.14

Nancy checks the list  and dials a phone number. NANCY (into phone)

Good afternoon. Is Dr. Goldstein 

Nancy checks the list  CUT TO  NANCY (into phone) Good afternoon. Is Dr. Goldstein 

p.15

CHANGE

She hangs up and crosses a name off the list. Dials again. 

TO:

She looks at phone clicks off crosses name off the list. CUT TO

CHANGE:

NANCY
Good afternoon. Is Dr. Delaney accepting new pediatric patients? (pause)Do you know -
But the line is already dead.

TO:

NANCY
Good afternoon. Is Dr. Delaney accepting new pediatric patients? Do you-Hello? HELLO?

p.16

change

BERNICE You’re not watching porno on that thing, are you?

 to

BERNICE You watching porno?

p.17 

change

MARK Of course not, Bernice!

 to

MARK Bernice! Never. (pause)  Not. Now. Not now. At this moment. 

p.18

change

MARK They’re paying it directly to the landlord - it should get done this week.

to

MARK They’re paying it right to the landlord - this week!

change

NANCY We just have to trust that they’ll do it?

to

NANCY We trust they’ll do it? 

p. 19

MARK Can I have a few?

to

MARK Gimme some? 

NANCY You just have to charge it, honey. You know how to do that.

to 

NANCY: Charge it, honey.  You can do that.

page 20

change

MARK The confirmation letter - the payment was sent to the landlord.

MARK
Confirmation: the landlord got paid. 

change

NANCY
I can handle her meds before I go.

to

I'll give her meds before I go.

 
Pages 1-10

p. 4

change:  

NANCY
Have a good day.

to

“Have a day!”

(inside teaching students with disbilities knowledge ) 

https://www.understood.org/en/articles/why-saying-have-a-good-day-stressed-out-my-son 

p.5

change

JOE RUSSO
You can learn a lot about someone from how they handle tomatoes.

 to

 You can learn a lot about a person..from how they handle tomatoes.

 

p.6

Teacher/Tyrone after the welcome. 

"And I will welcome back each student to introduce us to Alison. And your name, young man?"

"TYRONE"

And what's your favorite spot?
BASEBALL

MS. PETERSON
Exactly! We were talking about using numbers in a baseball game. 

(gap) 

SIGN over Wall phone says Press 0 for Security

Ms. Peterson picks up the wall phone and presses 0.

Phone response; SECURITY HERE.
P.7

She hangs up and shoves the phone in her pocket as she half-runs toward the front desk. 

She hangs up and shoves the phone in her pocket CUT TO FRONT DESK

p.8

Seriously?

CLERK: IT'S A SERIOUS BUSINESS.

the clerk hands Nancy a VISITOR’S PASS. 
 
p.9 

DR. CHAN is a 40-ish Asian man; change to PERSON

p.10

DR. CHAN You have to keep trying.change to You MUST keep trying.

 
 
 
 

 

 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home